Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day.

The disaster exercise wasn't a disaster!  WOOOO~WHOOOO!!!

When I was growing up - yes, yes, many still think I'm still attempting that - ANYWAY, coffee was not something kids enjoyed.  Can I tell you how many young kids are splaying cool cash for Starbucks?  A whole new generation of addicts.

Grandpa and I hit Forestville yesterday.  B-Utiful!  The sun was shining, a breeze filtered easily through the trees, and we took our time capturing the moment.  Grandpa gave me stories about the current road that was built by Roosevelt's WPA in the 30s and where the rut road remains are, along with where each overgrown trail leads.  He told me stories about certain trees up there.  Amazing memory, amazing man.  He found the spot of where an apple tree used to stand as he recalled the time a black bear, whose back stood above the ferns, came too close to the camp.  The black bear met its fate and was found later that year.  Hemlocks - pointed one of those out and said that was the main building timber, along with some white pine, for the houses he built in Marquette.  He said they're soft, perhaps too soft, but that's what people used.
We walked up Reiny Creek, felt its chillness, and searched for brook trout under the bridges.  I took pictures of Forget-Me-Nots and Buttercups.  At the top of the hill where Reiny joins with the river, we tromped around the "camp" where my grandparents and Mom lived for a couple of years.  The old stove, frying pan, and sink remain along with pieces of brick from the chimney that my uncle built for them.  He showed me where he would park their Model T.

The terracing by the house was built by Grandpa and one of his brothers because they wanted to drive and hauling the rocks gave them a perfect excuse.  I learned how tightly I held him as he would carry me across the main bridge because of the gaps in between to the river, and come to find out I didn't relish the sound of the hydro plant.   That surprised me since Mom talks about how I would sleep on the starting line during Dad's races.  Grandpa says his hearing isn't what it used to be.  This coming from the man who wouldn't wear hearing protection in the hydro plants.  He knew everything by its exact sound and could tell immediately if there was a problem and where.  When he brought up flying, I said, "you kept one ear uncovered to hear the plane, didn't you?"  Yes was the reply with a cheshire smile.

We found thimble and raspberry bushes just starting to bloom.  I ate a little carton of raspberries for dinner the other night.  Here's a quick and easy tip:  marscapone cheese on plain toast chips, topped with a raspberry.  Yummy and it looks fabulous.

It is another absolutely gorgeous day here.  Time to close my chat with you and sail around out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment