Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's a Frappuccino Caramel Light Day and you know what that means?  The sun is shining!

I made it out to St. Louis this morning and listened to Father Ben.  He just completed fire II class with the rest of us.  That church sure underwent a transformational change years ago, not only in structure but also in total feeling.  The old portion, which is now a gathering hall, is where my parents were married and where I was baptized and also received First Communion.  Mom made my First Communion dress of white eyelet fabric over a light blue sheath.  Since I stopped growing in 4th grade, you can only imagine that traditional little, poofy First Communion dresses - well, they weren't made for me.  Veil?  No freakin' way!  Ahead of my time with flowers.

So anyway, St. Louis is styled in a contemporary fashion now as it is in a round with natural wood beams and neutral colors interlaced with free design stained glass.  It has a down to earth, relaxed attitude about it and each time I pick up this unpretentious feeling from its parishioners.  

It's Chicken BBQ day and that means Grandpa bought tickets from Dr. Peura for a gathering at my parents' home.  I'm going to approach Grandpa about another trek through the Forestville woods as we did one last fall.  He's 90.  I want to capture his knowledge of the area again and jot it all down.  I'm not sure if going up the falls will be too much for him.  I'll make sure friends are in town should we get in trouble.  Knowing him, he's the mountain goat and I'll be the one sliding down a ravine.  With that in mind, I'll have to choose my friends wisely that day.  :)

Tomorrow is a large emergency exercise in Marquette that I hesitantly say I'm spearheading.  Core to my being is bringing people together of differing perspectives and this certainly has been a test.  It is tomorrow - tomorrow! - and here I sit with not enough victims.  Everyone could get people - yet, it's now Sunday and I'm trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces and make it work for everyone.  I yip at myself saying keep looking at the good!  There has been a plethora of discoveries along the way and we have already made great progress in changing things that make us more prepared for community emergencies.  It's all about the next patient, not one agency versus another, not existing polices and procedures, not the way it's always been done so that's why - period.

Gathered some agates yesterday with Cash-Man-Du.  He smiled.  I laughed.

Seize the moment.  I'm off...

No comments:

Post a Comment