Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chele, who recently reminded me that we've known each other since 3rd grade - wow!, told me quite some time ago that my largest obstacle in life was having an unwavering ethical foundation.  Her statement totally caught me off guard.  I was speechless.  

My philosophy prof from years ago might crack a slight grin to know I still remember ethics is composed of varying theories and principals.  I find myself tonight refreshing my memory.  The principal of beneficence, especially applicable to healthcare, that basically means to do good.  Respect of person, least harm chosen, and justice - all guiding principals.  The ethical theories:  deontology (obligations & duties - a big brother is expected to look out for his sister), utilitarianism (greatest good), and more.  

Seems as though when I find myself in a difficult spot and second guessing my actions, I reflect on these and say "please help me to know what is right, what is wrong and to love and serve."  Like a knock-knock to myself, a check-in, a reminder that there is not one way, not one perspective on each situation, but there are guides.

So with that maybe I'll get a little sleep in knowing what I do, what I say, is what I am.  Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Lyn.....you have such a gift for writing......I enjoy reading your reflections, and then it get me thinking too......

    ReplyDelete